Sunday, June 16, 2013

Concept of Money and Identity

Daily new social media (NSM) I use are without question Facebook but also include Instagram (now Facebook-owned). I am not sure if GroupMe qualifies as a form of new social media, however my entire district's (work-related, eight corporate stores) communication now exists on GroupMe as opposed to email. Could be because of our 200MB Outlook mailbox limit or to our more mobile nature (smartphone vs desktop computer).

New social media has shaped my perspective of events just as it has anyone else's. In sales, it is a long-standing notion that what gets measured gets improved. If literally every media outlet around me that purposely creeps into all aspects of my life has an agenda let alone sales agenda, then I am bound by almost certainty to be influenced under the powers that be. 

The concept of information, sales and technology rule my current disposition despite conscious effort.

I want to know more about Google+ and Color. Facebook is selling me. It is Facebook's intent and reality in addicting me and selling me to internet creations for profit. Given my line of work and my personal experience, I am quite conscious of concepts of identity and sharing. I know about backups and restores, about profiles and linked accounts. Concerning is the wild race to consolidate accounts and all public sense of self. The work and personal is becoming further intertwined. I am worried to speak too much of myself as to give away my whereabouts, preferences and likeness. I am worried that these things that technology now dictates as my public identity will be stolen or misconstrued. We have been witness to the media darling start-ups of the world that create posts bringing awareness to and asking for help in dismantling (reporting) false accounts or likenesses. With invent of screenshots and their utter ease of use, it is nearly impossible not to share items exactly as the way you see them which is what we have been searching for all along. 

While a new social media identity is different than a financial one, they embody similar concepts of money and identity. An anonymous person or computer can hijack my likeness which by nature is uniquely my own and virtual belongings to which I have worked toward. The lines of ownership have blurred in this recent era of technology and wildfire-nature of information spreading. 

There are both positive and negative aspects of this recent wave of change. Positively speaking, end users are more informed than at any point in history before yet negatively speaking are held less accountable. Are things like Wikipedia more "true" because they are created by the people or are the people's opinions that inevitably shape interpretation of facts compromised because of 24-hour media access and arguably, overexposure? We need media and information checks and balances. We cannot forfeit all information ownership rights to corporations so we mediate them ourselves, yet we the people place emphasis and detail on those facts ultimately told to us are important or true. We won't allow ourselves to give up such freedoms to describe and interpret yet we under-question the nature and source of the gospel in which we choose to spread. 

Concept of money and identity - sales, security and self. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I found your point about being careful not to reveal any personal information very interesting and relevant. I am also careful about sharing personal info, especially on Facebook where it is easy for individuals and companies to acquire details about their audience base. Personally, I have refused to add apps that ask to access my personal information or friends list because I feel like that is just opening myself up for a breech in privacy. On another level, I also don’t ‘like’ many pages on Facebook because I view this as an easy way for advertisers to target me and my information as a potential client or source of income.
    Thank you for sharing your ideas and making me more aware of guarding my personal information online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    You bring an interesting persepctive to the marketing and sales aspects behind new media. I've used new media in the non-profit sector for outreach and advocacy, but know very little about the metrics behind using social media to target customers and sales. Money, motive and identity are all intwined and I'm both intrigued and a little wary to know how much information can be harvested from my social media identity. Hope that you'll share more about this in later posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I specifically enjoyed reading about how you linked social media with sales and security. Everyone is so quick to post and share information via social media and you bring up an excellent point regarding security issues. I have to say I have never heard of GroupMe but based on your post I want to read up on it and learn more about it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I think you are right about keeping your identity pretty simple when it comes to social media websites. I don't want people thinking I am one thing, when I am really not that thing they perceive me as. That is what scares me about the upcoming younger generation and their social media fixations. I am only 24, I try to keep off of my social media websites and stick to being on them for only an hour a day. I know how hard it is to not check them consistently. I am just trying to make a change and not to make it so much of my life.

    ReplyDelete